Thursday, January 7, 2010

Snapshot of a Decade

To look back on the decade that just closed, I find myself grateful, blessed and a tad bit emotional.
I know that the last half of the decade was heartbreaking for so many American's, and believe me, it was a struggle for us too. But to move onto the next decade with everything that we have, I feel that I am more grateful than anything.
Y2K
We opened a new millenium in New York. We celebrated Y2K, and our new engagement with Meghan and Greg and Kelly and Tom. Which, has been one of my most memorable New Year's celebrations, to date! 10 months later, in October, Conal and I were married. Really, what better way is there to kick off a new millenium?
2001
We purchased our first home, the house in which we still live. We didn't expect to be here longer than five years, but as I mentioned, I am blessed for all that I have, and my home...which is where so many memories have been created, is my comfort.

On our first wedding anniversary, we both attended our first World Series of baseball. They Yankees played the Arizona Diamondbacks. We all know how that turned out, but still, what an incredibly fun experience!
2002

Conal and I took a trip to Hilton Head on our second anniversary to visit his Dad, and then drove through South Carolina up into the NE corner of North Carolina to spend time with his mom. We had an awesome vacation seeing some beautiful parts of the country. Some of my most favorite parts of the country to this day!

This Thanksgiving brought us even more to be thankful for than we could've ever imagined. We announced on Thanksgiving day that we were expecting our first baby!
(see, I can't even type this without getting choked up! silly!)
2003
I'm sure there was more going on to this year than puking and weight gain, but quite honestly, the first 8 months of it, that's all I can remember. Well, until we found out that our 'son' was really a 'daughter'! SURPRISE!It didn't matter though, because on July 31, we welcomed Hayden Catherine..or Hayden Cate, as I affectionately call her these days. With a first baby comes a million 'firsts'. And I've covered all those in her baby book!
Conal turned 30, that can't go without mention!
We also welcomed the birth of our first niece, Morgan Anne and Pam had her first baby boy, Cooper Jay! What a WONDERFUL year filled with baby love!!
Hayden, August 5, 03

Donna, Morgan, Pam, Cooper, Me and Hayden, July, 2004 2004
Early in this year, it was decided that I would babysit Cooper. This is highlight-worthy because this is where I grew this unconditional crazy bond, (or at least I still feel it. I'm sure he was too young!) with Coop! I feel like 2004 was a year that I grew up tremendously, in so many ways.


We also purchased our first 'family car' in 2004. We bought a mid-sized SUV. Holy cow, we're parents!
Hayden celebrated her first birthday, and shortly after than, we took her on her first airplane ride clear across the country, to New York! She met her Aunt Kate for the first time, saw the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, spent a day at a Winery and did A LOT of shopping! We also took a girls, and Cooper trip to Central CA to meet Great Grandpa! She went on quite a few trips after she turned one. We decided worldliness is a great characteristic ;)
First airplane trip..Long Island, NY - August, 04

New York City, August, 2004Great Grandpa, Sept, 04
2005

Our family of three, my parents and Pam's family went to the Caribbean for a Mexican vacation this year. Hayden was not quite two yet, but proved to be quite the traveller. This area is where we honeymooned, so it was really special for us to take our daughter there with us. Even though she had no idea that we love the Mayan Riviera so much!

A couple of months after our trip, on Hayden's Christening day, we announced the expected arrival of baby number two!

Yet again, sickness fogs my brain up until...

Hayden's Christening, August, 2005 2006

Pregnant w/ Tay Jan 06 April 9th at 11:31pm...SHE arrived! What an amazing day of labor and childbirth. If I could re-live those days over and over, I would. They are just AMAZING! I think every single moment of it is so etched into my mind because I knew that was probably going to be my last. So I wanted to savor and capture everything!
What a beautiful baby she was...and just six minutes after birth, things took a turn for crazy. And that's when the story of Taylor's struggles began.

Baby Tay, April 9, 2009

This proved to be one of the most challenging years of my life. Yet it was another year of tremendous growth for me. Plus, I turned 30!
With the overwhelming feeling of heaviness floating over, my father in law swooped in and gifted us a one week getaway to Newport Beach. That's where we found our love of Newport, the girls' first trip to Disneyland, and also really came together as a family of four. For the first time. We focused on fun, love and relaxation, and not all of the negative that we were faced with at home daily.
Hayden started a little community preschool in the Fall and we celebrated our first Holidays with two daughters! We couldn't be more lucky!
A COMPLETE family, April 10, 2006
Disneyland! October, 2006 2007
Taylor's struggles were on the forefront during this year. We had secured therapy services to come into our house several days a week to help her out. With numerous health issues, she was a sickly baby. She wasn't too happy and car rides proved MISERABLE! Enough said!

We also noticed that something seemed not quite right with Hayden. We embarked on an arduous journey...one that we had no idea would lead us where it did. Until Christmas Eve, when she was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome.
We also found the perfect little preschool for her at St. Tim's. This move proved to be the perfect place for Hayden!
Mom, Pam and I also decided to brave a road trip and take the kids to the beach in Newport for a couple of days. What a great break from the heat that was!
Still, we counted our blessings and were thankful that our daughters have humbled us. Provided us with a sense of humility, education and a love deeper than we ever could've imagined.
September, 2007
Vegas, May, 2007Newport Beach - August, 2007 2008
Taylor turned 2. Which was not so terrible! Hayden turned 5, and we had one heck of a party to celebrate! She started Pre-K, and her Aspergers diagnosis was overturned and labeled Autism.

We enjoyed all things 'festival' with trips to the fair, the zoo, Schnepf Farms, Willcox and another Disneyland trip.
Pre-K, April, 08
Mesa Museum for Youth Circus - July 2008 2009
Taylor has grown leaps and bounds. Okay, maybe not physically, but developmentally! She completed OT and PT and started preschool through the district where she receives her speech therapy! She's not a fan of school.
We lost our dog Chloe :(
Hayden started Kindergarten and has loved every minute of it from day one!
We experienced the passing of my grandpa and a trip to California to be with family for the funeral.
We took the girls to the beach for a long weekend and Mom and I trekked to California with two very excited little girls to experience Disneyland at Christmas-time!

I cannot wait to see what's in store for us in this new decade! The girls will hit double-digits. Hayden will turn 16. I'm sure there will be dating and dances. Agh! I can't get ahead of myself, it sounds overwhelming!
Summer 09
December 4, 2009
Here's to a healthy, happy and successful New Year!

5 comments:

PCox said...

what a decade!!!! huh? CRAZY!!
I will admit I got a little emotional through out this ENTIRE post.

Meghan said...

Wow, well documented. What a great summary of the last 10 years, seems like it flew by! It also makes me feel really old :(

Lori said...

WOW what a great post. Made me very emotional. To see in your words the last 10 years and to think of my part in all of it. Another WOW! The best part of it all for me, seeing you so happy and becoming a grandma...5 times :) I'm so proud of you and Conal.

Watson Family said...

Great post!!

Brianna said...

What a great story! Even better to think you have so many more wonderful memories to be told!