Saturday, December 26, 2009

Dear Santa,

Hayden wrote her very first letter to Santa this year! She has drawn him pictures in the past, with a bunch of jumble, but this year, she wrote a letter. It's still pretty jumbly, but she did it with no help, I might add! Her teacher encourages the parents to not correct the kids when they're writing/spelling. They are learning their phonics and her point is that there are plenty of years ahead to perfect spelling. So she sounded the whole thing out.

We love this approach and find it a lot less aggravating for Hayden, if we're not correcting everything she writes. It's really built up her confidence and makes her feel so smart!

Her letter reads:
Der Sainta

I wont a Lfrd (I want a Clifford)
I wot a Borbe (I want a Barbie)
I won Chalr (I want Charlie (Pam's horse))
I wot a Horse
I wot a Pone ( I want a Pony)
I wot a Broht w Doogr (when I asked her what that meant, she couldn't remember!)
I wot a Borbe (I want a Barbie...again!)
I wot Rufdoph ( I want Rudolph)

Heart, Heart, Hayden!

3 comments:

Lori said...

How cute! I love Hayden!

Meghan said...

That's a great approach and will make her want to learn instead of being discouraged. What a cute letter, you have to save that one.

PCox said...

so cute!! i love that she "wots" charlie!!!! we need to get her out here to ride again.
make sure you save this letter. i'm so bummed that coop gave his to santa when he saw him. I wanted to keep it.