Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hup 2, 3, 4

Besides the fact that I'm tired of being the 'fat girl in a bathing suit' (queue Tommy Boy's: fat guy in a little coat!).....I can't quite figure out what in the world possessed me to join Boot Camp! My friend Bonnie invited me to join with her. She's done it before, even took home the prize last time she did it. 15 minutes into the first session as I'm stuck in a chair-sit position against the air, NOT a chair, I couldn't get the thought out of my mind....'friends don't let friends suffer, let's go get a drink!'

I mean, obviously, I knew when I signed up that this wasn't going to be a stroll around the mall looking for the latest trends in pretzels and lattes. But good God did it kick my butt. I guess a dose of reality...a Super Sized dose, was what I got. Being an athlete at the top of my game for more then half of my life, I think I've lived the last 13 years or so still categorizing myself as that. I really, truly think that in the way far back nether regions of my mind, I thought, oh that's no biggy, I could get off the couch and train for a month or two and be superfit if I wanted. I'll take a couple laps around the track and sign up for the next PF Changs 1/2 marathon. I was a swimmer, and a runner, I'm built for endurance, piece of cake. WRONG!! For the first time ever, I was bringing up the rear....the true caboose! And let me tell ya, this caboose was definately weighed down with some extra coal. Wait, I think coal goes in the front? Well, whatever...I was slow, heavy footed and huffin' and puffin' as if I'm a 2 pack-a-dayer!

50 minutes into this session called Boot Camp I was visualizing the characters of the Biggest Loser. I feel really bad, I'm so critical of them. When they stop running halfway through their challenge, I'm yelling at the tv..."kick it in the butt, you've only got 20 feet left"! Now I know how they feel. Although, I never quit! I never walked! I never sat down! I perservered and pushed through every ounce of pain that my mega jiggly quads were feeling! I literally feel like I hit a wall....like my legs had cinder blocks in them. But they didn't, and I played a true game of mind over matter with myself. 60 minutes later and we finished. I completed my first night. I felt proud, accomplished. I've never been a quitter, and I wasn't going to start now, but it truly challenged my mind, body and spirit.

As the day after has progressed, I can hardly move! I make slight moans and noises, but, I went back to the gym this afternoon for a good, brisk workout on the treadmill and some stretching exercises and I'm looking forward to night 2 of Boot Camp. Did I just say that? Yah, you know what, I'm looking forward to it, I can't wait!!

5 comments:

PCox said...

I am seriously laughing out loud as I read this post!! Your writing is so descriptive. You have me in tears!!

Lori said...

OMG Bec, you crack me up!

Watson Family said...

way to go! Getting there is the first step. I can't even do that. Where do you go to boot camp at?

Becca said...

Thanks! Mountainside at Cooper/Warner.

Anonymous said...

You just reminded/inspired me to get my butt on the t-mill today. I'm going away skiing and I'm soooo out of shape. The worst day is the worst, you'll stick with it and be so glad you did! Good luck!