Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Kindergarten

I snuck into her room, quietly, to watch her angelic little face rest so peacefully minutes before I intended on waking her up.

I decided I couldn't do it just quite yet. So I left the room and returned in five. As I gently kissed her on the forehead and whispered quietly that is was time to get up....her eyes popped open, she sat straight up and shouted "SCHOOL"!!!!

And there it was.

Yesterday was the first and only time Hayden will have her first day of Kindergarten. A first that you anticipate for so long, and then it comes and goes so quickly.
This little girl was ready for school. She's been ready for months. And as I anticipated a rushed, chaotic, anxious morning....it was not. She woke up and ate her breakfast. Brushed her teeth and dressed herself. Asked me to make her hair "really pretty with the big pink flower".
I versed her *again* in lunch room manners and bodily etiquette! lol Handed her the lunch bag, backpack, took some pictures and loaded her into the car.
The rules were that you could not walk the children up to the classroom, or play yard for that matter. You must use the drop off lane, have them sitting on the right hand side of the car and throw them out as you pass! Well, not quite, but that's what I felt like! I broke the rules, along with many, MANY other first timers! We parked a block away and walked to school. Hayden was thrilled enough to get to walk across the street with the crossing guard!
As we approached the big gated Kindergarten area, I swear the butterflies in my stomach were flittering double-time. I was so nervous. She wouldn't give me a hug. I had to beg for a picture..with the response of "Mommmmmm" (even though there were lots of huggers, many photographers and a plethora of criers). Not this girl. She was like a horse at the starting gate! I told her to have a great day, looked her in the eye and just like that, she turned and walked off. Did not turn around. Not once.

1 comment:

Watson Family said...

I love her excitement for school! What special memories. She seems really independant and ready to prosper.