Sunday, March 30, 2008

Breaking Free

That is the title to one of Hayden's favorite songs. It's in the High School Musical movie. It's a duet with the two main characters singing about breaking free of stereotypes or labels. I never thought much about the song, know all the lyrics, and actually sing along to it with Hayden when it's playing. She listens to it on the tv, in her room, in the car and belts it out while she's playing outside....swinging, mostly.


We've noticed such a positive change in her over the last three months. We've had one comment after another, and many mentions of her emotional and social strides lately. Since she started her new school, her therapy, and home treatment we seem to see Hayden "Breaking Free". That's not to say everyday is a walk in the park. But it's not with an 'average' four year old either. There are some days where Hayden seems so far beyond her age and her noteable limitations....and there are others where we just wonder if she's in there. There's a noticeable disconnect. She's still battling obvious challenges with her cognitive skills, fine motor skills and auditory processing. I think for quite some time to come that will be apparent. But we're learning how to help her cope (along with ourselves), and we're definately noticing more encouraging days then not lately with her overall well-being.


As she's completed 3 months of occupational therapy and 3 months of school; she's learning, she's absorbing, she's soaring! Her teachers are noticing a change in her. Her confidence level is rising and she's actually interacting with the other children. That is not every school day, however it's now about half of the time. We'll take it! We are fully aware that different environments and social settings trigger her tendancies. But we're also learning how to help her find solace when she's anxious, nervous or scared. She still "stims" regularly, but structuring her days has really decreased that.


We know that she will, likely, through out different phases in her life, stall or possibly even backpeddal. Not everything is as clear as the open road---but who doesn't stall or backpeddal? It's a way of life! We'll be here every step to help her maneuver her way. The unknown is, just that, unknown. But we've got such a great support system surrounding her and a few people to help guide us, that we've jumped in head first and feel like we're covering some ground. I know just a few shorts months after all of this seemed to come to a head that I can't rejoice and or deny what type of challenges face her. But education goes a long way. We've been educating ourselves, therefore making us stronger, more able, and more confident, giving us the proper tools we need to help guide her. There's even more to say for Early Intervention. As scared as we've been that we may have missed the window, each and every day I feel like we might have just slipped in through a slight crack. I'm starting to see a glimmer of hope and promise that we're not too late!


So, I've kind of gone full circle here. Today Hayden was swinging, singing Breaking Free. Something caught my attention and I listened to her grapple her way through the lyrics. It may seem kind of cheesey, but even though she doesn't know the true meaning of the song, it seems fit for her....down the road she will call her journey.


Breaking Free


We’re soarin’, flyin’
There’s not a star in heaven
That we can’t reach
If we’re trying
So we’re breaking free

You know the world can see us
In a way that’s different than who we are
Creating space between us
‘Til we’re separate hearts

But your faith it gives me strength
Strength to believe

Can you feel it building
Like a wave the ocean just can’t control
Connected by a feeling
Ohhh, in our very souls
Rising ‘til it lifts us up
So every one can see

We’re breakin’ free
We’re soarin’, flyin’
Were runnin’
Ohhhh, climbin’
To get to the place
To be all that we can be
Now’s the time
So we’re breaking free

You know the world can see us
In a way that’s different than who we are


6 comments:

Lori said...

Papa and I have noticed the forward and positive strides that Hayden has made. Last weekend (Easter) was so noticable. Bec, you and Conal are such great parents. I have no doubts that your girls are first and foremost in your lives and you will continue to do what is best.
I can't express with words how I feel about Hayden. She is one very special little girl with a heart bigger than any of us and a true blessing to our family. So in my attempt to express my feelings for her all I can really say is "Memaw LOVES Hayden so very much"!

Meghan said...

I'm so happy to hear that Hayden is making such progress in a relatively short amount of time. She's such a special girl, we're so proud of her and wish nothing but the best for her and Taylor. You and Conal are so great with your girls and I know you will do whatever it takes to give them the best care/therapy. I love your blog and all the photos,it makes me realize how much I miss everyone. I need to come out there soon.

AmberM said...

Oh Bec, I can hardly type through the tears...Hayden is so incredibly blessed to have such wonderful and committed parents. With my recent work I have seen parents who remain in denial and refuse to be proactive. I am so very proud of you and Conal, and so glad to hear that you are seeing progress. I love you and miss you, and if you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call!

Kari Griffith said...

Hayden is such a special person. We all think that of our children and when they do something new and challenging, no matter how big or small, we are the most excited for them. Bec We are excited for her too and wish her the best in every area of her life.

Becca said...

Oh my gosh, thanks for all the supportive words you guys. I've got the best family! It's so nice to keep in touch with everyone....especially since we're so far away. This blogging stuff makes me feel like we're all so much more connected.

PCox said...

I couldn't agree with you more. She has really grown in the last few months. We've noticed tremendously. You should be proud of her and you deserve a pat on the back for her progress as well.

I think you should add that song to your blog. I want to hear it. It'll probably make me cry, but I'm prepared. :)