Monday, March 17, 2008

Sophie

Meet the newest member of our family!SOPHIE

We were enjoying a nice lazy Sunday. We ate an early dinner and then got a phone call from Memaw and Papa wanting to stop by for a few minutes. They came over around 4:30 and stayed for about an hour. About 10 minutes after they left the door bell rang. I saw their car out front and figured they forgot something. When I opened the door this adorable, approximately 2 month old, puppy was shaking in my dad's arms. It was love at first sight! The girls went nuts over her, especially Taylor. We waited about an hour before introducing her to our other dogs. Daphne wasn't phased and Chloe was a bit protective. She was sniffing her like crazy and not letting her cross the back patio onto the grass. We told Hayden all evening that we are just going to keep her until her family comes forward with signs looking for her. That there is a good chance we'll have to give her back. So, all evening she kept telling us that Sophie wasn't ours but we're going to take good care of her!

By nightfall, Chloe and Sophie were good friends. Daphne was happily asleep in her closet and I was slowly drawing more attached to this beautiful little puppy that looks like she was made for our family.
By morning time, I've decided that giving up Sophie is really low on my priority list. I don't know her situtation. Although Conal really thinks she was dumped. She had no collar, doesn't have a 'chip', and my parents said that she was running, frantically, lost and very scared. She came straight to my Dad when he called her. If the case is that she escaped from someone's home, I'm not sure that their home is secure enough for her to live there. And, why wouldn't they be posting signs around the neighborhood or on the web. The girls and I drove through about 4 sq. miles of neighborhoods this morning looking for signs for this little lost puppy and we haven't found a single one. So, we went to PetSmart and bought her some pee-pee pads for night time and a plethora of Nylabones! (We picked up some treats for Chloe and Daphne too!)I know puppies are a lot of work. I've always told Conal I'd NEVER have a puppy! We locked her in a run in the kitchen last night and she whimpered. She piped up twice and I let her out both times at 12:30a and 3:00a to go pee-pee. She's a chewer, she's got super-sharp little puppy teeth and she's quite fiesty. But those eyes suck you in and that puppy belly just melted my heart. She's yet to have an accident in the house, although I know not to count that out! I've got some work cut out for me, but I think, in the long run, we'll be so glad she stayed.

I will keep my eye out for signs, but I think if she is a "missing" puppy, her owners should've looked a lot harder for her. And at this point, how am I going to really tell my girls she has to go away? Oh, who am I kidding....how am I going to tell myself she has to go away?

6 comments:

Lori said...

Papa and Memaw fell in love with her right away too. She is so darn cute how could you not. We welcome our new grand dog Sophie into the family. Uncle Shiloh seemed to like her too.

Meghan said...

Welcome to the family Sophie, you look just like your cousin Luke at that age. I can't believe that someone would let a puppy that young out of their sight. If she was let loose, she deserves to be with a better family. What's one more tumbleweed of black hair! Enjoy that puppy belly!

PCox said...

Can't wait to me li'l Miss Sophie!
You better bring her over on Sunday!!!! I could go for some good puppy lovins.

AmberM said...

She is very cute...I probably couldn't give her up either. Sounds like she will be a fun addition to your family.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Sophie! She's adoeable but I must say I don't envy you another dog.Hope she has her own blanket to sleep on!

Billw said...

Well that's A SURPRISE VERY CUTE LITTLE PUPPY WHAT A NICE NAME GOOD.tHE GIRLS LOOK SO NICE IN THEIR Easter dressesv good luck BILL & GIGI