Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My friend, Kristy

The Mom Test
I was out walking with my 4 year old daughter. She picked up something off the ground and started to put it in her mouth. I took the item away from her and I asked her not to do that. "Why?" my daughter asked. "Because it's been on the ground, you don't know where it's been, it's dirty, and probably has germs," I replied. At this point, my daughter looked at me with total admiration and asked, "Momma, how do you know all this stuff, you are so smart?" I was thinking quickly... "All moms know this stuff. It's on the Mom Test. You have to know it, or they don't let you be a Mom." We walked along in silence for 2 or 3 minutes, but she was evidently pondering this new information. "OH...I get it!" she beamed, "So if you don't pass the test you have to be the dad!" "Exactly", I replied back with a big smile on my face.

Kristy sent this joke to me and I just couldn't resist posting it. I got a chuckle and thought you might too!
Kristy is one of the first friends I made when I moved out to Arizona. We went to church together but didn't know each other well until one fateful trip to the Grand Canyon with our church group. We got acquainted over a Cracker Barrell chicken fried steak and instantly learned that we had a lot in common - yet we are so different! Coincidentally, a couple of months after that, we were on the same round trip flight to Los Angeles going to different destinations. We sat across the aisle from one another (middle seats each) and completely bonded! From that moment on, Kristy and I have been very good friends. We've been through a lot together. Back in the good ol' days she listened to me talk about my dates...good and bad! She helped "counsel (haha)" me through a nightmarish roommate aka RoomMonster experience, she dug Conal before my family even met him, we've been to Redskins games together (yes, we let Conal join us!!), and spent a lot of quality time just hanging out - oh yah, and MANY trips to Disneyland! Kristy was in my wedding and threw my Arizona bridal shower. She took time off of work before my wedding to help me shop for all kinds of last minute stuff to help me get things done! When we worked remotely near one another, we used to meet for lunch once a week for the best gripe session (good and bad!), it could give anyone a run for their money! Her family is an extension of mine. Her mother is like a grandmother to me. She made my wedding cake, and has since, spent her own time with me to teach me how to make cakes. Her mother battled breast cancer this year and I felt as if it were a member of my family. We've been there for each other through thick and thin, the best and the worst, this is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg. And I know this sounds one sided, but it's an equally supportive friendship. Of course, I cannot publish all of her drama! LOL. However, as we grow older and our schedules change, we don't have time to see each other as often. My girls love her and when they see this picture of her on my computer they get excited! Kristy, thanks for all of your love and support. Thanks for all of the laughs and even all of the tears we've shed together (especially this past year). You always help to give me clarity and understanding from a totally objective point of view. I feel like the stories could go on forever and typing them out doesn't do them justice. I'm so grateful to have such wonderful memories and anticipate a lifetime of a million more!

Photo circa June, 2008 at Loretta's (her mom) Breast Cancer Free party!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Oh my goodness..I am bawling! You are such a good writer! I was cracking up at some of the memories that you mentioned. We certainly have had our share. I am so glad we met and are kindred spirits. I know this last year would not have been the same if it were not for you being with me too. It has been so hard but its going to get better from here on out I think! It has to!
Anyway, I love ya so much and I cant wait for our next Disneyland trip! Kids or not! hee hee
I love you and all your family too. I cant imagine life without all of you guys. We have too much fun together! When are we playing Wii next? hee hee
Love you lots,
kristy