Sunday, December 14, 2008

Made from the Heart, A Special Dress

The first Christmas after Hayden was born, my mom asked me if she could make her a Christmas dress. My mom is a great seamstress. But what I like even more than that, is that they are made from the heart.
So, every year (with the exception of 2005), she has made them a Christmas dress. She always asks my opinion on fabric, style, color, etc. I usually give a little bit of opinion, plain and simple, not lacey or frilly. Those are my only requests, generally. Last year I was with her when she was fabric and pattern shopping, and just fell in love with her idea. Then, a few weeks later, we saw a very similar dress, hanging in a boutique for over $100. I'm amazed at what a Christmas dress sells for, especially one that lacks hard work and love.
I think it is so special that my girls have a dress made by their Memaw to celebrate special occasions. Over the years, she's also made them summer dresses, Easter dresses, receiving blankets, baby blankets....really, the list goes on! I know I cannot save each and every dress over 18 years (or however long they'll let her make them), so my plan is to save them until that time has come, and then take the fabric in each dress and make it into a quilt. So that they can show their kids (probably daughters, since that's what we do in our family), all of the pretty fabrics their grandma used to put into their dresses.
200320042005
(Hayden a fun dress her Great-Aunt Shoosh gave her for Christmas Eve)


2006



2007

2008

4 comments:

Krissy said...

I love it! ITs so special to have things made from Grandma. I am so girl hungry. I really want to be able to dress someone up in pretty dresses. That doesn't go over too well with boys.

Kim said...

Man - beautiful dresses! I'm with your friend Krissy - cannot relate to the dresses w/2 boys, but cute, cute, cute!

Anonymous said...

I still have some of my dresses that my grandma made me. I just can't part with them! I can only hope to dress a girl in them some day. I love the blankets your mom made for Wyatt too! They are nice and big and so soft!

Anonymous said...

What pretty dresses, the girls look beautiful. You're lucky that your Mom is so talented!