Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Temple Lights

We've been so busy lately. I've been working crazy hours and in the haste, feeling really guilty that I haven't taken the girls to see lights yet. They love Christmas lights. Like all kids, that's one of their favorite parts of the holiday season. So, after we went to a graduation party in Tempe tonight, I decided it was early enough for a pit stop on the way home. We went into Mesa to see the Temple lights.
Their display is one of the best around. In my opinion, Zoolights does not hold a candle to their wonderland, and it's free! As we were driving up, Hayden was worried that we were going to keep driving, and Conal was worried that we were going to stop! (haha)
Although, even on a Wednesday night, we had to park a few blocks away (in the ghetto...since that's the part of Mesa it's centered in), it was so worth the trip!
The girls LOVED the lights and the festive mood floating around! The Fountain Hills Community Choir performed beautifully, singing Christmas Carols on the stage across from one of the beautifully lit reflection ponds. (Did you know that other denominations and local schools perform almost nightly through out the season?) As we took our time and wandered the wonderfully lit paths, Hayden and I were talking about the story of "No room in the Inn", the birth of baby Jesus. We stood at the Nativity scene and I answered her questions and enjoyed seeing her delight. Of course, Conal saw the donkey and immediately thought of "Donkey" in Shrek the Halls. I swear, you can't take him anywhere!
I wish my camera captured some better pictures, but hey, at least it decided to work tonight! I got what I could to savor an impromptu moment of family time in this crazy season, that we seem to lose perspective in so easily.
I wish my camera captured these better, but I wanted to post these anyhow. I love it when Palm trees are lit up at Christmas!

3 comments:

Krissy said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of the Mesa Temple. I've never seen it in person. The lights look beautiful. I love the way all the Temples are 'lit up' at Christmas time.

Kristy said...

That cracks me up about Conal and the Donkey comment. I know I cant look at Gingerbread cookies without thinking of Gingy! :0) hee hee
Sounds like you guys had fun though!

PCox said...

Wow that's really pretty!! What a fab idea!!!!