Thursday, May 8, 2008

Heaven..in the mind (or heart) of a four year old

Wednesday was a melancholy day around here. First thing the girls did when they got up was look for Sophie. "Osi" as Taylor calls her, wasn't around and I explained to Hayden what happened. As I told her she said..."You mean she died"? So I said "Yes". She then proceeded to tell me Sophie would come back later and I told her Sophie wasn't coming back and left it at that. I'm kind of a less is more girl. I only tell them what they need to know. I don't elaborate in hopes of causing less confusion. Well, about a half hour later and about every half hour for a couple of hours or so, Hayden would ask where Sophie was. We'd have the same conversation and it would end the same way. I knew she was just trying to grasp her mind around it.

Later in the day we were on our way to school. For the first couple of miles Hayden was really quiet. I knew the wheel's were spinnin' all morning. And they were, here was our conversation.

H: Mommy, I think Sophie is in Heaven
B: Yes Hayd, Sophie is in Heaven.
H: Mommy, I'm lookin' but I don't see her up there.
B: You can't see Heaven Hayd
H: Why Mommy?
B: Heaven is something you feel in your heart and believe in your mind.
SILENCE....
H: Mommy (with hand on heart), I don't feel Heaven. I do feel my heartbeat. Oh, Oh...like I pledge allegiance (and proceeds w/ the whole Pledge.
B: (laughs) Good job Hayd, you're getting really good at that.
H: Yep! I think there are mountains in Heaven. And rainbows and rocks and lots of satellites. Mommy, I think Sophie likes the satellites.
B: She probably does. I bet she's runnin' under rainbows right now.
H: Nope, she's playing with the satellites.
B: Alright
SILENCE....
H: I'm going to tell my teachers that Sophie died in Heaven. Heaven is at my school with God and Jesus.
B: Really?
H: Yep, we go to Atrium and we see Heaven and God and Jesus. Will Sophie be in the Atrium?
B: No Hayd, Sophie won't be at Atrium, Heaven is not in the Atrium, do you talk about Heaven?
H: Nope...but we talk about God and Jesus. And then we get snacks.
H: What do you think the snacks are today Mommy? I can't wait for a snack. Hmm...maybe carrots?
B: Maybe.
H: Mommy, No....not carrots. Maybe cookies.
B: Alright Hayd, get outta the car. Any more questions about Sophie or Heaven?
H: No...why?
B: You were asking and I want to make sure we're good.
H: About what?

1 comment:

harbfam00 said...

What a precious conversation and out of the mouth of a 4 year old.Kids just don't dwell in things like the adults. You must have answered her questions somewhere along the way.