Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sad Post

JUST A NOTE: I'M JOURNALING THE HIGH'S AND LOW'S OF OUR LIVES. THIS POST IS FOR OUR PERSONAL REMEMBRANCE AND THE BOOK THAT THIS BLOG WILL BE MADE INTO AT THE END OF THE YEAR. SO...READ AT YOUR OWN RISK, VERY SAD STORY BELOW...AND I DON'T WANT TO BE ACCUSED OF WRITING TOO MUCH SAD STUFF ON HERE!!!

Now that I've had a little sleep and can think (semi) clearly, I've reflected on the last 30 hours. Not so fun.
On Sunday night Sophie got sick. Really sick, but by mid-morning on Monday she really perked up. She was eating, drinking, rough-housing with Chloe...acting completely normal. So, I thought she must've just gotten into something that soured her tummy. Tuesday mid-day she seemed to have lost her spunk again. I had a vet appt. scheduled at 10:30a on Wednesday for her to get her next series of shots. So I called the vet to see if they could get me in on Tuesday instead, but they were booked solid. She told me to keep an eye on her and to look for signs of dehydration. If she worsened that I would need to get her in somewhere.
As the day progressed I left for work and Conal kept an eye on Sophie. When I came home from work that night she was laying on a blanket, and Hayden had covered her in blankets and stuffed animals so she would feel better.
Conal tried, while I was gone, to hand feed her water, and when I got home I tried that too, we could tell she was dehydrated. She was disinterested in food or water and seemed so sad. She got up and wanted to go outside. I watched her for awhile and she just wandered. Finally around midnight I decided she needed to go to the vet. The night wasn't going to be good to her. Once we got there, they ran a test on her and it came back positive for Parvo. She had a really high fever and was septic. Bacteria was in her blood and attacking her bone marrow. Needless to say, as the night progressed, and three hours of me crying,calling back and forth to Conal and pacing the room, unable to make a solid decision on my own....the CVT who helps with pet bereavement helped me make up my mind.
Sophie's prognossis was really grim. Trying to keep her alive would not only drain our finances, it would be selfish to her. She would get worse before better (if even better at all). So I had to let her go. :(

No comments: