Sunday, August 17, 2008

Closing the book...Summer of 2008

Figuratively, of course. For those not familiar with an Arizona summer, the real book closes around Halloween. Hayden starts her first day of school tomorrow, which seems to kick off "Fall"!

For the first time since Hayden was born, I worked a seasonal administrative job last year, so now I really know what it's like to appreciate summer vacation! This summer presented a lot of opportunity to appreciate what our area has to offer, and also some challenges that come with a floundering economy! (That's a nice way to put it, right?!) We had a couple of big trips planned, that we scrapped due to the rising gas prices. Around the time that we anticipated those trips, gas was just over $4 a gallon here, and over $4.50 in CA, which is where we were headed. So, we reconstructed our plans and found wonderful alternatives!

The thing I appreciated the most this summer was not having a schedule! The only thing we had a standing date on was swim lessons four days a week for most of the summer. We also had our Friday movies every week at Harkins, which we thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait to do again next summer! Other than that, Tay's therapies were all put on hold over the summer and we had the luxury to come and go when we wanted and do what we pleased!

Since I've tried to keep my blog up to date this summer, all of the major events are noted. I'm just going to highlight a few things that I'm sure I'll have memories of forever, in no particular order (you know me...I've got to have documentation of everything!).

*Movie Fridays
*Camping with the Coxes
*Swimming, swimming and more swimming
*Playdates with Cooper and Cash
*Special Mommy and Hayden time
*Special Mommy and Taylor time
*Fun afternoons with Papa
*Dairy Queen Blizzards
*Evenings after dinner...popsicles, sprinklers and a silly family!
*Hayden's 5th Birthday
*Numerous trips to museums, the zoo, splash pads and indoor playcenters

So, as we close the book on the Summer of 2008 and face tomorrow, a new chapter in our lives will begin. I'm a bit scared and uneasy, but I'm also encouraged and confident. We're going to have a great year...we're going to MAKE it a great year. I'm blessed. It is what it is and all I can truly think to say is that I'm blessed.

1 comment:

Lori said...

It's been a wonderful summer. Both the girls have grown leaps and bounds this summer. And they truly amaze me in the water. Taylor is fearless and Hayden is one very good swimmer. Just amazing! Far cry from when the summer first started.