Saturday, February 7, 2009

De-clutter

ONE of my resolutions for this year is to de-clutter (internally and externally!). No need to search for the post where all of my resolutions are listed, in long form. Take my word for it! So 30 some odd days into the new year, I'm really doing it!
Physically speaking I've tackled my house with full force.
I had bags (about 5) of old documents that needed to be shredded. It hasn't been done since right before Taylor was born. It's not something that I can ever truly find time for. I have every excuse in the world, valid or not, to procrastinate that task. It's BORING. But two years of stuffed bags and I sat down on the floor in the living room one night mid January and I started plugging away, three sheets at a time. Conal was a bit annoyed because he could hear it and was trying to sleep, so I just did two bags. I found my lucky break two days later as I was passing the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce. They had a big truck out there promoting a corporate shredding service. You better believe I scooted my butt home quick to pick up the other 3 bags and anything else I felt not worthy of saving!

After two years with no furniture, I finally bit the bullet and bought Taylor a chest of drawers. Cute. White with pink drawers, perfect size for her room. I also found an adorable table in excellent condition for just $7.99 at the Goodwill (which by the way, is my new fave haunt. Hayden has nicknamed it 'The Junk Store'. Spoiled Sport!). I bought two new pink baskets for underneath the table, and that's where her toys, and more so, her multitudes of dress up clothes are stored. So now, we have a closet without clothes strewn everywhere! More importantly, a place for EVERYTHING! That was huge! I've been struggling with that since last summer! That project was a multi-weekend one! But Mama is so much happier now.

Last weekend, we tackled our bedroom. Conal organized our CD collection. We estimate to have over 300 (that's my low-ball, he thinks more). Most of them are his BB (that's before Becca). He also rearranged the DVD's. I think I've decided that we're going to toss the cases and put them in 'magazines'. That will save so much space. Under our bed is full of storage, with CD's - but at least we got rid of all the VHS tapes since we don't have a VCR! Our goal is to find a home, not just a place for the stuff being stored in our armoir, so that we can ditch it and free up some space in our bedroom. I'm tired of it being the office, craft room, catch all, rec center of this home. I want SANCTUARY!

I used to consider myself a compulsive cupboard organizer. Every few months I'd organize my cupboards. Once we had kids, that obviously went out the window. Other than my spice cabinet, which I seem to do at the change of each season, I haven't done my cupboards in at least 3 years. I think I was preggers with Tay when I did it last. So today, I tackled that task. I donated stuff that I haven't used in the last year and got rid of all the 'baby' stuff. I now have TWO EMPTY cabinets. We were amazed. Not only are they categorized and organized but I have extra space. In this cookie cutter house that has absolutely NO storage space, I have TWO empty cupboards!
And my favorite treat in my de-clutter..ization?? (I don't know what it's called) Is my new RO system! I can't figure out why the family, whose co-leader used to work for WSI and build and install these things for a living, has never had one. However, NOW WE DO! We were looking at the water coolers at Lowe's today and I told Conal that I'd rather, for just a few dollars more, buy an RO system. It will pay for itself by the time the summer comes to a close...NEXT NOVEMBER! haha! We buy so many cases of bottled water a month that we are an endless mountain of water bottles over here. So many go wasted because the girls open them and don't finish them often. And we will not drink after them ;) So, on behalf of US, we're contributing to a longer future of our planet! And we'll be saving ourselves some green too! I am thrilled to just be able to walk over to the sink and fill up a glass! Oh, the little things!

I almost forgot. Somewhere in the midst of all that, we gutted our laundry room too! Only about 3 people have ever seen my laundry room. However, it's no longer a dark, scary hole...it is so pretty, shiny and bleached, too boot!

So, this may be a boring post. It may have exhausted you. Who know's, it could've even inspired you. I don't know why, I've always hated cleaning but LOVED organizing. I can organize like nobody's business. Maybe that's why I'm doing so well with THIS resolution!
PANTRY

Baking Cupboard

Empty Cupboard

4 comments:

AmberM said...

Congratulations!! That was quite a lot of work...I am the SAME way, love to organize, hate to clean. I can't wait until school is over so that I can get CRAZY in our house too. Way to go, Bec!!

Krissy said...

You definately inspired me. I don't know if I'll actually do anything. But the thought is there.
Oh...What we do with DVD's is....we put the disk's in those BIG cd cases. we keep the one with the kids movies out in the living room, so they're not going through my closet looking for a movie. Its nice....then the only thing on the TV stand is one case.

Becca said...

Krissy...that's totally what we were thinking of doing with the CD's / DVD's. That's a good idea to just keep the kid ones accessible for them! Great idea!

Kim said...

you're kill'in me Bec!!