Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hayden's DDD Update

As for our appointment with DDD, they agreed with Hayden's diagnosis and qualified her for services. On that day, they told us to wait 10-14 days and a case manager should be contacting us. And also, in 10-14 days, so should some funding company that the State uses. Hayden, herself, will need to qualify for funding. That will entail them doing their own evaluation in addition to the one the Melmed Center has done and the State has done. See, as it was explained to me yesterday by somebody whose walked this walk before, they're looking for loopholes. They overwork the evaluations in hopes of finding something that somebody missed to disqualify her.
We were then, at the end of our meeting, informed that we're "Running out of time". I was PISSED. I, the mother who has done nothing but fight and battle for help for her daughter for the last year and a half, am "running out of time". What that means is....Hayden is going to be six in July. So, she will need to re-qualify after August 1st. She will need to seek a new psychologist (and it was made clear to me that it cannot be done by one in CUSD), she will need a new formal evaluation from the psych., will need a new eval. by the State and then another for funding again. So, if we are qualified for funding now, we can hurry and pick up her services and get her help before her birthday. Because after that happens, we're starting from scratch again.

Aggravating.

Regardless. I will do what it takes. Running out of time or not.

Yesterday I was told, by Tay's PT, that out of her 40 patients, she can count on one hand the parents who are so proactive and involved in their children's lives. I was on that hand. She commended me on my strength and perseverance where my kids are concerned. That was a nice compliment, and I take great pride in that. It also saddens me of the parents that just give up. I know how easy that would be to do. But how could you not want the best for your kids. A brighter future is not going to fall into their laps, we have to help them make that happen.

Now, if somebody could take great pride in making our journey a little less discouraging, that would be wonderful!

1 comment:

Krissy said...

I hope that everything happens before her birthday. My sister in law went through a lot of things like this for my niece, and I remember how the people from the state, district, & county all drug their feet.
I wish you and your family all the best.