Tuesday, November 4, 2008

On this day....this historic day

On this day, this historic day, my darling lil Taycakes came and stood by my bedside this morning picking my nose. Not picking at my nose, or poking it. Picking it. And as I opened my eyes. My swollen, blurry, not wanting to be awake at 6:45am eyes, I see her finger dip right into her mouth. Under her tongue. She then looked at me questioningly and said "nuffin' Mommy". I didn't ask her a question. So did "nuffin' " mean she was doing nothing, or did "nuffin'" mean she got nothing out of my nose? Not sure I'll ever know the answer to that question. Not sure I would really want to know the answer to that question.

On this day, this historic day, Hayden turned on the bathtub and adjusted the water temperature all by herself. When I asked her what she was doing, she told me she needed to bathe to get the bed bugs off of her. Startled, I asked if she found new bites on her body. She is pretty covered in mosquito bites, and my sister and I were talking about bed bugs...so I figured she was eavesdropping and picked that up from us. "No mom, see?!" Apparently, she too, was up early this morning. Yet, my quiet little Hayden, who can entertain herself for hours chose to stay in her bedroom and draw beetles all over her legs.

On this day, this historic day, little Tay went into the cubhouse at Basha's all by herself for the first time. Not only was it a big deal that she was going by herself, it was an even bigger deal when my name was paged over the loudspeaker to come to the cubhouse. Taylor told Ms. Claudia (who by the way LOVES my girls) that she needed to go to the "tow-wet". YAY! We left the house at noon and this was 1:15. This is MONUMENTAL!

On this day, this historic day, I went to vote. Proud of the freedoms that our country has bestowed upon us. Our right to speak, and choose, to express and conquer. I went to vote. No line, no crowd. Me and my daughter expressing our rights, our choice for who we want to lead our country. In this critical time in our lives, with our economy, with wars raging and battles brewing, I took myself to a polling place to speak my voice.

On this day, this historic day, I look at my family with aggravation AND love. My house is a mess. Laundry is piled halfway to the ceiling on a wall in my bedroom. My kitchen counter is cluttered. Toys are strewn across the backyard. But we are healthy, we are happy. We are making our way together, we have each other. We will all clean it up later after we spend some time playing a game, each of the girls will get to pick one out. We are loved and we are blessed.

On this day, this historic day, I let go of my stresses and embraced my relievers. For a day, of course, tomorrow may be different!

1 comment:

Krissy said...

I totally laughed at the parts about picking your nose and the house being a mess. The nose part was funny cause it didn't happen to me. It was also very grouse. The house part...Mine probably looks about the same as yours. I call it a successful day when the dishes get done by mid afternoon.