Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thank you, Ms. Dina

Today was the culmination of two years of Occupational Therapy for Taylor. She has been discharged from her therapy meeting all of her goals. Ms. Dina was her therapist the entire time. Ms. Dina grew to be an extension off of our family. I am going to miss Wednesday mornings at 10:00, and seeing Ms. Dina's van pull up in the front of the house. Not only did Taylor accel and achieve her goals, she really loved and trusted Ms. Dina. About a year ago, she started to help me with Hayden, giving me ideas, tricks and tips. We have a lot in common with our children with developmental issues, allergies and ailments. She's broadened my horizons a bit on sensory challenges, disabilities and alternative treatments. Every couple of months, she would leave her "tools" here (arts and craft projects, science experiments, blocks, lego-type thingys, etc) on purpose. She loved bringing those treats for the girls, utilizing them in therapy and then leaving them as an 'excuse' so they could practice!
Not only did she bring them more fun doo-dads, today, but she sent me a really nice email. Some tips and reminders, things to continue to do with Taylor and to help with Hayden. Hayden is currently undergoing her intake to qualify for services. In the meantime, Ms. Dina has been working with her on the sly. She will be Hayden's OT, so she is not done with our family. She's very excited to help us understand Hayden and help Hayden understand her life. In response to the letter she sent me, I sent her one back. I will also forward it on to her office. I'm sure they already know how amazing she is, but I want to make sure that they know her patients think so too.
Of course, I document everything, so I'd like to save this as a reminder.

Thank you Dina. You are such an amazing person, a gift. I felt a bit unprepared today, as you left. I 'knew' it was Taylor's last session, but completely forgot about it until the end. It never really dawned on me. I appreciate all you've done for her and for us. You've enlightened me on the differences that lie within ourselves. You've opened my mind to patience and tolerance and acceptance. I think I could've been blinded, a bit jaded and definately ignorant to all that Taylor struggled with when she was younger and all we're faced with, with Hayden. But you've encouraged me to educate myself and accept differences. I don't think I've come across anyone who has ever seemed to truly love their profession as you do. Your passion to help just amazes me. I value your opinions, your strength and your encouragement.

Pictures to be posted later.

1 comment:

AmberM said...

That is so incredibly inspiring. Your family was blessed to have had such an amazing person. ;)