Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Road Trip to see Great Grandpa

Last Wednesday, my mom called and said that my grandpa was going to be in Laughlin Sunday-Tuesday. Would we be interested in a last minute road trip to go see him? Since it's been 3 years since Pam and I have seen him. Hayden just turned 2, Cooper was 1 and I was newly pregnant w/ Tay, we jumped at the idea! I've tried planning a couple of different trips to the Fresno area over the last two years, but something has always jumped in my way. So this seemed like a great opportunity!
We drove there Saturday night, after we left a birthday party. We got out of town at 7:45p and arrived into Laughlin just prior to midnight. It was a quick easy drive, and the kids slept most of the way. It was Pam's idea to leave Saturday night, and what a great one that was!
Sunday we went to a breakfast buffet at another hotel and killed a couple of hours at a park letting the kids play. There is literally NOTHING to do in Laughlin, which we knew ahead of time. They ran off all of their steam before we took them back to the hotel for a couple hour nap. They had to rest up to see "great grandpa" (aptly named by Hayden)! He arrived at 3:00 on Sunday. He called us when we got in and we headed up to his room! I think he was just as excited to see us as we were him. He couldn't believe how big Hayden ,and Cooper had gotten, and was amazed to meet Taylor and Cash. He told us that when my mom called him to tell him we were going to go, he couldn't sleep that night because he was so excited. I think that's really cute! :)
So, we gathered our goods and went out to dinner. The kids were very well behaved for the first hour. They started getting antsy, not knowing how long great-grandpa can talk! Little do they know, that's where that gift was bestowed upon them! haha
It was really wonderful to see my grandpa. He looks great, he does not look like he's aged a day since I saw him three years ago! He does have a hearing aide now, and is hunched over a bit do to him bum knee and back but he's still as fiesty as ever and looks great!

2 comments:

Kari Griffith said...

I'm so glad that you guys got to spend some time with grandpa. I can't believe that it has been 3 years.

Kristy said...

Hey, I am so glad you got to see your grandpa! That is awesome. Last minute road trips are the best!