Monday, January 26, 2009

A familiar stranger in the dark

I know it might sound creepy. Okay, not might. It is creepy. But I do this thing at night. Sometimes I'm wide awake and do it while I'm relaxing. Others, I really think I'm in some realm of sleep, and have no idea that I'm doing it, but he's seen me, with my eyes wide open.

I stare at Conal. He is a loud and wild sleeper. He's very restless other than worry about him, which I often do, I find it interesting. Annoying, but interesting. I can time, without even counting, when he's going to twitch or swing or flinch. So I stare. I watch. I hardly blink. There have been times when he's rolled over in the night and we come face to face. I've scared the living daylights out of him with my eyes wide open, meeting his! I don't know why I do what I do, but I do!

Last Thursday I was getting Hayden ready for school and she asked me why Daddy sleeps with his mouth open. Why he makes loud noises and breathes really hard. And why when he looked at her did he not say hi.

Creepy? Maybe. I found it funny. Him, not so much!

3 comments:

AmberM said...

That is a little creepy...but more funny! Thanks for sharing that, you made me laugh!

Kari Griffith said...

Bec, Bryan does the same thing as you. He will stare at me, sit up and have conversations with his eyes open and insist that he is awake. Then the next morning I can ask him about it and he has no idea what I'm talking about. It is creepy to turn over and see someone looking right at you.

Kristy said...

My roomie in college would sleep with her eyes open. The first time I saw her doing it I thought she was dead.