Saturday, January 24, 2009

I live for little moments like that

I went out to dinner with a friend last night. I was home early, by 9:30, but still didn't get to see my girls. That's not unusual for me, as I often work at night, or take that time to indulge in a bit of a social life with my girlfriends. But last night, I got a text around 6:00 that Hayden lost another tooth. I asked Con to take a picture so that I could see it on the day it happened. From that point in the evening, I just wanted to get home. I wanted to sit in the floor with the girls and listen to them laugh and giggle, and help Hayden with the ritual (that is all too often lately) that we do when preparing for the Tooth Fairy. But I couldn't. So when I arrived home, Con was still up on the couch watching a movie. I checked in on the girls, as I do every single night before I go to bed, covered them up and gave them kisses.
I woke up this morning and snuck out of bed into Hayden's room. She was laying there very still, with her eyes open. She got the sweetest grin on her face. She told me that the Tooth Fairy came last night because she pulled another tooth, but she missed me, and I missed it. Then she smiled. Such a cute, innocent little smile. She rolled over and I rubbed her head for quite some time. We just layed together in silence, enjoying the warmth and comfort that we bring to one another. That warmed my soul. I live for little moments like that. It's hard to think that she was so small at once. I never could've pictured that she'd be so big, as she is now! To be able to crawl in bed with her, and lay in silence, or talk about the tooth fairy just reminds me to savor each moment.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I know the feeling. Those are precious moments. Time flies way to fast doesn't it!

Krissy said...

I love those special quiet moments with just one of the boys & cuddle. Those are times that can never be replaced.
As far as the losing teeth thing goes...isn't it crazy how close together they fall out? Peyton lost 5 teeth within a month when he was 6yrs old. The tooth fairy missed one of them because of a "snow storm". (at least we could use that as an excuse).
Cute post!