Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day Two

He's "exceeding expectations". That's what the hospital staff told us last night, just a few hours after surgery. And when I think of that phrase, it scares me. He's an over achiever..determined to do his best and be the best at whatever the task at hand is.

I've been wanting to see him all day, so when we got home from work and our appointments this afternoon we went up for a quick visit. He looks good. Tired, but good. His coloring is great and it's nice to see all of the tubes removed. For the first time in a week, he's not hooked up to a single machine or IV. He's on a medication patch. He said he feels beat up, like he's been hit by a truck. His shoulders and his back are especially sore from the procedure. But, the fighter that he is, he's powering through slowly and steadily and he's ahead of the curve. I don't think he's forcing himself or pushing himself, it's just the way his body and mind work.

Yesterday the nurses told us the surgery would take around four hours, and he was out in about two and a half hours. They said he would probably come off the ventilator sometime later that night or the next morning, he was off of it four hours after surgery. They expected 24 to 48 hours in the ICU and by 11:30 this morning, he was headed out of there.

We're cautiously optimistic that he's on such a great track. I even thought to myself today, don't set unreal expectations as there are bound to be set backs. And lo and behold when we visited him tonight he said that his cardiologist told him the same thing. That he will probably hit a wall, may get depressed, but to forge through. It was good to hear that, and I'm glad his doctor prepared him for that so that he doesn't get so bummed and stunted and wonder why. Thinking he's failing is not what we want.

He will probably get to come home on Friday barring no complications. I want him to get as much rest as he can. I want him to take his time and not be in a hurry. I really think he'll follow that rule. We're all just so joyful that this was caught and treated before something catastrophic may have happened.

1 comment:

harbfam00 said...

I am so glad that your dad is doing so well! He had us all worried. I'm just glad that he is on the road to a healthy heart.Give him a hug from me. Love ya